Do you need to update your Linked In headshot? You might be able to get away with using your cell phone, if you follow these simple tips.
Nothing beats a professional headshot. BUT, if you are straight out of school, you might not be able to invest in a professional headshot yet.
In fact, you are MORE likely to have your Linked In page viewed IF you have a profile photo.
These 5 tips can help you take a better picture of yourself.
- Plain background — make sure your background is plain. You shouldn’t use a group shot from the last New Year’s Eve party where you crop out just your head. A plain background make sure that the focus is on YOU and not your buddies in the background.
- Skip the phone flash. Natural light will work best. Get near a window but avoid direct sunlight. Direct sunlight will give you some unflattering shadows.
- A DSLR works best but some cell phones are pretty good. Just make sure that you have current cell phone, as their camera abilities are superior to older phone models. Find a shelf that is about eye-level and set the timer. You should be good to go.
- Wear an outfit that is consistent with the industry you want to work in. If your industry specifies suits, then wear a suit for your profile pic. You don’t want to wear anything that will detract from you. Women will want to err on the conservative side.
- Lastly, follow the “Rule of 3rds”. You should not be directly in the center of the picture. Crop the pic so that you are on 1/3 of the side and 1/3 of the midline.
After you have landed your first job, consider updating your selfie with a professional headshot.